Loch Sloy Hydro-Electric Facility
The Sloy/Awe Hydro-Electric Scheme is a hydro-electric facility situated between Loch Sloy and Inveruglas on the west bank of Loch Lomond in Scotland.
Construction began in May 1945, under the auspices of the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and was completed in 1949. The official opening ceremony took place on 18 October 1950 and was attended by the Queen Consort.
Twenty-one men lost their lives during the construction. The labour force also included some German prisoners-of-war.
The facility is operated by Scottish and Southern Energy, and is normally in standby mode, ready to generate electricity to meet sudden peaks in demand. It can reach full-capacity within 5 minutes from a standing start.
Image dimensions: 6000 x 4000 pixels